May 2nd, 2011
A Moment in History: Osama bin Laden – Your Thoughts
News broke late Sunday night announcing the death of Osama bin Laden. President Obama spoke from the White House, explaining the U.S. military raid on a compound in Pakistan where Bin Laden was hiding, and the subsequent assault that ended in his death.
As you may know, CafePress.com users comprise a robust community of diverse people who can create and upload their own product designs. The community expresses themselves in many ways – oftentimes focused on current events, news or pop culture trends – making the CafePress.com Marketplace a Cultural Barometer for the latest on what’s happening in the world.
The CafePress community quickly began voicing their thoughts and feelings about Osama bin Laden on t-shirts and other products minutes after reports of his death surfaced. So far, overall sentiment of Osama related designs centers on the following themes:
1. Celebration: For many, it feels like justice has been served, and the military accomplished their mission.
2. Commemorative: Remembering the 9/11 attacks and tributes to those affected.
3. A moment for the history books: Yesterday will go down as a milestone in U.S. history.
4. Patriotism: Many designs supporting the military. We’re seeing designs that are showing their pride for our friends and family bravely fighting for the U.S.
5. Hats off to the President: Designs are showing that we’re proud of our president and many are saying this cements President Obama’s chances of being re-elected in 2012.
How do you feel about this news? Share your thoughts with us below: